How do caries (also known as "cavities") form? If you have the right ingredients, consisting of bacteria, your teeth, carbohydrates and time, you will eventually form caries. Here are some helpful tips from Your Oral Health to help prevent future caries from developing:
- When reaching for a snack, go for the nuts, cheese, plain yogurt and popcorn.
- Reduce the consumption of carbonated soft drinks, orange juice and lemonade as their acidic nature demineralizes your teeth making them more susceptible to cavities and sensitivity.
- If you really want to have that acidic or sweet food and drink, try to have it with your meal when your mouth contains more saliva rather than between meals when your mouth contains less saliva.
- Using a straw when drinking soft drinks helps to reduce the amount of liquid that touches the teeth.
- Avoid eating toffee and hard candy as they stick to your teeth and take a long time to dissolve.